REVISED July 12, 2019
Washington International Piano Artists Competition Locations and General Information
Note: Links underlined below, contain additional information or maps
DATES OF COMPETITION: Thursday JULY 18th through Sunday, JULY 21st, 2019
Please remember, CHROME BROWSER users should reload this page each time you visit it, manually, to make sure you are looking at the latest updated page information!
EVENTS AND RECEPTIONS
- WELCOME RECEPTION, Wednesday, JULY 17th 6:00-9:00pm LOCATION: Embassy of Argentina, 1600 New Hampshire Ave NW. This location is
- near Du Pont Circle Metro stop (red line). Walk eastward on New Hampshire to corner of Q Street. Also may be approached from 18th Street going North at New Hampshire make left one block on right. Google Maps has pics of the building as well as location. Competitors should r.s.v.p. if attending. No charges involved. Buffet and drinks. Piano at the embassy.
- THE GEORGE WASHINGTON U. MUSIC DEPT - PRELIMINARY ROUNDS will be on Thursday & Friday. Location: Phillips Hall, B-120 (B means basement level 1 on elevator). Phillips Hall is located at the corner of 22nd Street and H Street NW, DC. Start time 9:30AM. Competitors have a chance to rearrange posted schedule times a week or so before the competition begins, according to their needs. Schedules of performances will be sent out in advance by email to competitors, and posted online as well.
- A Reception is held after the 2nd day PRELIMINARY ROUND. You will enjoy good food and drinks
- SATURDAY SEMI FINAL ROUND: Location: B120 GWU: TIME: 1:30-6 PM
A Reception is held after the SEMIFINAL ROUND FOR PIANISTS AND GUESTS.
- FINAL ROUND IS SUNDAY AFTERNOON, 2:00PM-6:00PM
- Location of Finals: Corcoran Museum Concert Auditorium. Entrance off E Street (New York Ave for one block, actually) Main Entrance off 17th Street NW opposite White House Lawn.)
- Use the E Street (NYK Ave block on north side of building) as best entrance to concert hall. Exact location: 500 17th St. NW. But use entrance at the North corner of the building along a short strip of New York Avenue.
- AWARDS CEREMONY AND CELEBRATORY DINNER: 6:30PM to 10PM, at The Corcoran. Dinner event is catered buffet. Antendees must be paid in advance, so sign up as early as possible. Remember, discretionary and special awards are round independent, and it is not uncommon for pianists, who did not advance, to receive one of several discretionary awards being offered. Be there! It's important that winning pianists receive these publically supported awards "in person."
PRACTICE PIANOS, FOOD, WIFI INFORMATION
- Grands and uprights are available to competitors as assigned by WIPAC staff at the front desk outside B120. Preference is given to those about to perform. The music department is an "All Steinway" university since 2010.
- GWU B120 opens at 9AM Thursday to Sunday or earlier if possible. Signups for practice time on pianos takes place on arrival. Those performing next have preference. Snacks/Juices, bagels, etc. available free at the WIPAC Desk outside B120.. Marvin Center is close-by and also available for fast foods. Whole Foods & Starbucks are nearby. Best to use WIFI at Starbucks or your hotel, or, use guest information provided above for internet access. We are guests in the music department, and it is important not to interfere with their daily operations as best we can.
- PIANO FOR COMPETITION: Steinway B Grand in room B120. Tryouts arranged at the WIPAC FRONT DESK outside B120.
- Hospitality at Front Desk ouitside B120; Starbucks across the street; Whole Foods on I Street at 22nd; Fast Food Court At Marvin Center; Restaurants at 2000 Pennsylvania Ave NW (See Virtual Tour of Foggy Bottom Campus (find on GWU GENERAL WEBSITE)
- SATURDAY MORNING MASTER CLASS 9:30AM-and 10:30-12:00 Noon, B120 (Instructors: Thomas Pandolfi (Julliard) and Raymond Jackson, Prof. Emeritus, Howard U.). Sign up at front desk to perform ; first come first serve if you did not advance to next round..
- SUNDAY MORNING MASTER CLASS 9:30AM-12:00 Noon, B120 (Instructor, Pascal Salomon with George Mihaes will review your performances).
- Times of masterclasses may be changed somewhat. Check at front desk.
TRANSPORTATION, LOCATION, MAPS, AND GENERAL INFORMATION
THERE ARE AT LEAST 3 VAN SERVICES BETWEEN DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AND WASHINGTON, DC; use INTERNET SEARCH FOR "VANS at DULLES AIRPORT"
Those coming in at Reagan International Airport (DCA) can take taxi or use METRO
AIRPORT SHUTTLE TRANSPORTATION (Some links may change; you need to check DULLES AIRPORT GROUND TRANSPORTATION):
- Shuttle services such as Super Shuttle, Blue Van or Yellow Van have websites for prebooking incoming, based on your flight's arrival time. Outgoing arrangements for pickup at GWU are best made at by phone as soon as possible after your arrival -- 24 hours advance reservation is required to insure pickup on time at your hotel. You will need to tell them your exact flight departure time.
- or check airports for VAN service on arrival. These are located in the baggage claim exit areas.
- At Dulles Intl (IAD), look for representatives desks for various van services all together next to each other, near the exit at lower level exit areas 1-2 or 9-10.
- At Reagan Intl (DCA), go to representative near baggage claim area. (METRO is also available at DCA and probably the easiest and least expensive option if your hotel is near a station).
- At Baltimore/Washington Airport (BWI), look for representative at Pier C at the middle of the airport, or stop at an inquiry desk for additional instructions.
- Blue Van SUPPER SHUTTLE reservation telephone number: 800-BLUEVAN (subject to change). Yellow SUPREME SHUTTLE telephone number is 800-590-0000 (subject to change).
- Incoming, you do not need a reservation, but you may have to wait longer for a VAN if you did not reserve in advance, which you can do online! Outgoing, call 24 hours plus or schedule a departure upon your arrival and arrange a pickup time and place in advance.
- FYI, METRO will eventually go as far as Dulles Airport, but currently last stop in that direction is McLean, VA.
- Hotel Lombardy next door to The Arts Club of Washington
- Washington Hotels--general site
- HOTELS.COM -- general site
AIRBnB is for a room or entire apartment. Residents of a city rent out their own properties to guests. If you don't have an account, go to airbnb.com and click "sign up." It takes an hour or so to sign up for an account. View photos and amenities of the property you select. Be sure to "read the reviews" on the website before choosing a place. Choose one located close to a METRO station, so that you can use it to “Foggy Bottom” METRO station at GWU.
- Possible location choices in DCmight include: (near Du Pont Circle: The Fairfax at Embassy Row; Embassy Row Hotel (both on Mass Ave)); Hilton Hotel, Marriott; Palomar Hotel; Holiday Inn. Hotels are best near Foggy Bottom (GWU) (Melrose, State Plaza). Du Pont Circle area is walkable but a good walk. Crystal City or Rosslyn hotels could be used, but should be close to METRO so you can commute to Foggy Bottom via Metro or Du Pont Circle Station from Virginia. Rates are frequently lower in VA, and taxes are lower, but you must plan on using the METRO or a TAXI. Crystal City is close to Key Bridge and Georgetown. Holiday Inn and Marriot Hotels are both in ROSSLYN near METRO, and you can walk over Key Bridge to Georgetown which is always nice to visit. There are restaurants along the Potomac River down the hill from M Street..
- Hotels.com and other travel online sites offer deals and coupons that can be used for future free night stays, using their services.
- Du Pont Circle area Metro can be used to connect to Farragut North, or via METRO CENTER connections to Foggy Bottom Station which is 2 blocks from GWU Music Dept. Several websites can be used to find lowest price hotel GWU area offerings. We recommend you check web listings daily or weekly as offerings can change overnight or week to week.
DC: GENERAL INFORMATION
- DC MAP LINK: CLICK HERE FOR DC MAP (Note: Dupont Circle is just north of this map and if you look at Connecticut Ave and New Hampshire Ave, they converge just above the top of the map at Du Pont Circle, which you cannot see on the map. There is a METRO STATION there.
- DC BUS & GOOD MAPS: METRO MAP AND BUSES
- For those of you visiting from abroad, it is customary to tip taxi drivers approximately 10% of the total amount. Restaurant servers expect approximately 15%. Fast food and carry outs: no tips required.
- THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY MUSIC DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY MUSIC DEPT. is located at PHILLIPS HALL-BASEMENT LEVEL B1; 801 22nd St NW (or between H & I St.) Use B1 elevator stop.
- Elevators are at main entrance found in the middle of the block, off 22nd between H and I Sts., NW. "B1" on elevator buttons!
- B120 is Home Base for Competitors, Master Classes, Preliminary and Semifinal Rounds.
- IMPORTANT WIFI INFORMATION: Guest Registrations at GWU for WIFI (see this link and follow directions, limited time use only, and may be cut off affter one day's use).
- Location for WIPAC WELCOME DESK is outside B120. Competors may register, find refreshments, and be assigned masterclasses and practice rooms
- Location for preliminary and semifinal rounds this year: B120 9AM or 10AM - 6 PM with break for lunch. Check for frequent schedule changes close to the date and at the B120 front desk..
- OFFICE: Phillips Hall (Basement Level: B1) 801 22nd St. NW, off 22nd Street between H & I Streets, Washington, DC 20006
- DIRECTIONS: Phillips Hall adjoins Rome Hall off 22nd St. NW between H and I. Use B1 elevator level with the sign that says MUSIC DEPARTMENT. Go down the hall to B120 on left for WIPAC DESK in entrance hallway .
- Click on the Virtual Tour to see maps and where buildings are located: GWU GENERAL WEBSITE Use website to find locations and helpful service information
- (Search for "Phillips Hall" which is joined to "Rome Hall" along one block of 22nd Street from "H" to "I" Streets.)
- CLOSEST METRO: Foggy Bottom Station near GWU Medical Center; Farrugut North Station (see METRO MAP ABOVE) is not too far and connects with RED LINE, one stop north, to Du Pont Circle station which is nearest to venue for final round at Cosmos Club and also the Welcome Reception at Kosciuszko Foundation.
- PARKING: DIFFICULT. Streets are metered, also on weekends now. Credit Cards can be used; or cash in quarters only. Smartphone payments are used in some locations.
- GWU VISITOR PARKING LOT is OFF H between 22nd and 23rd Streets. IMPORTANT: Use that Visitors Lot! It is part of the new Science & Technology Building. About $20 per day.