REVISED JULY 18, 2017 (3nd revision;masterclasses and marathon changes;guest rate clarification)
Washington International Piano Artists Competition Locations
METRO, GWU CAMPUS & DC MAP links
Shuttle Services Between Airports and GWU Campus
Hotel Accomodation Information
Note: Links underlined below, contain additional information or maps
DATES OF COMPETITION: Thursday AUGUST 3, through Sunday, AUGUST 6, 2017
Welcome Reception (OPEN TO competitors, guests, donors, and volunteers WITH RSVP) is Wednesday August 2nd . We may shift the Welcome Reception to Thursday and first day of Preliminary Rounds to Friday, if we were able to schedule all competitors in one day. This could happen, so it is important to note. Also, please remember, CHROME BROWSER users should reload this page each time you visit it, manually, to make sure you are looking at the latest updated page information!
- DC MAP LINK: CLICK HERE FOR DC MAP (Note: Dupont Circle is just north of this map and if you look at Connecticut Ave and New Hampshire Ave, they converge just above the top of the map at Du Pont Circle, which you cannot see on the map. There is a METRO STATION there.
- DC BUS & GOOD MAPS: METRO MAP AND BUSES
- DC METRO INTERACTIVE WEBSITE: METRO WEBSITE LINK
- For those of you visiting from abroad, it is customary to tip taxi drivers approximately 10% of the total amount. Restaurant servers expect approximately 15%. Fast food and carry outs: no tips required.
- THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY MUSIC DEPT. at PHILLIPS HALL BASEMENT. 801 22nd St NW (between H & I St.) USE B1 elevator stop.
- Elevators are at main entrance found in the middle of the block, off 22nd between H and I Sts., NW. "B1" floor is "Basement Floor" on elevator buttons!
- B120 is Home Base for Competitors, Practice Rooms, Master Classes, Preliminary and Semifinal Rounds.
- IMPORTANT WIFI INFORMATION: Guest Registrations at GWU for WIFI see this link and follow directions, limited time use only.
- Location for WIPAC WELCOME STAFF, registration, refreshments, and assignment masterclasses and practice rooms: outside B120
- Location for preliminary and semifinal rounds this year: B120 10AM - 6 PM with break for lunch. But you need to check. The schedule changes frequently close to the date.
- Grands and uprights are available to competitors as assigned by WIPAC staff. Preference to those about to perform. The music department is an "All Steinway" university as of 2010.
- OFFICE: Phillips Hall (Basement Level: B1) 801 22nd St. NW, off 22nd Street between H & I Streets, Washington, DC 20006
- DIRECTIONS: Phillips Hall adjoins Rome Hall off 22nd St. NW between H and I. Use B1 elevator level with the sign that says MUSIC DEPARTMENT. Go down the hall to B120 on left for WIPAC DESK in entrance hallway .
- Click on the Virtual Tour to see maps and where buildings are located: GWU Visitors Information; See Building 19 Foggy Bottom Campus MAP
- (Search for "Phillips Hall" which is joined to "Rome Hall" along one block of 22nd Street from "H" to "I" Streets.)
- CLOSEST METRO: Foggy Bottom Station near GWU Medical Center; Farrugut North Station (see METRO MAP ABOVE) is not too far and connects with RED LINE, one stop north, to Du Pont Circle station which is nearest to venue for final round at Cosmos Club and also the Welcome Reception at Kosciuszko Foundation.
- PARKING: DIFFICULT. Streets are metered, also on weekends now. Credit Cards can be used; or cash in quarters only. Smartphone payments are used in some locations.
- GWU VISITOR PARKING LOT is OFF H between 22nd and 23rd Streets. IMPORTANT: Use that Visitors Lot! It is part of the new Science & Technology Building. About $20 per day.
- WELCOME RECEPTION, Wednesday 6:30-8:30pm Location: Kosciuszko Foundation
- 2025 O Street NW, Washington, D.C (near DuPont Circle; not so far from Foggy Bottom where GWU is located; 1.1 miles walk or drive.)
- PIANO: Weber (Exceptionally colorful, warm sounding, suited to the space)
- DIRECTIONS: Walk from GWU or use METRO to DuPont Circle Station, or taxi. Parking is very limited on neareby streets, but car parking is not recommended. Check with GWU WIPAC desk for possiblity of rides to the center provided by WIPAC members. Easiest option: get together with someone and take taxi (max 4 per vehicle, maybe 5 if larger taxi).
- MAP OF AREA
- Metro from GWU: Start at Foggy Bottom station near GWU Medical Center. Go to Columbia Heights METRO statioin. See MAP above and walk to Mexican Cultural Institute.
- A Piano is often available for this occasion.
- THE GEORGE WASHINGTON U. MUSIC DEPT - PRELIMINARY ROUNDS will be on Thursday & Friday, or if only one day is needed, Friday is the day. Start time is 10AM. but the exact times can change depending on number of competitors. Competitors have a chance to rearrange posted schedule times a week or so before the competition begins, according to their needs. Schedules of performances will be sent out in advance by email to competitors, and posted online as well.
- GWU B120 opens at 9AM Thursday to Sunday or earlier is possible. Signups for practice time on pianos takes place on arrival. Those performing next have preference. Snacks/Juices, bagels, etc. available free at the WIPAC Desk outside B120.. Marvin Center is close-by and also available for fast foods. Whole Foods & Starbucks are nearby. Best to use WIFI at Starbucks or your hotel, or, use guest information provided above for internet access. We are guests in the music department, and it is important not to interfere with their daily operations as best we can.
- PIANO FOR COMPETITION: Steinway B Grand in room B120.
- Go to WIPAC Reception Desk which will be located outside B120 in the hallway, for registration, any assistance you require, and practice room assignments.
- See above for detailed directions to the GWU B120 location. B1 on the elevators means BASEMENT!
You will have an opportunity to warmup at GWU. Preference given to those in order of appearance.
PIANO: Steinway B
DIRECTIONS: As above for B120
- A Cocktail & Snacks Reception is held after PRELIMINARY ROUNDS conclude. You will enjoy good food and drink..
- Saturday Morning PIANO MARATHON: 9:00M to 10:30 AM before Masterclass ... continue performing for each other and having discussions. Open session in B120..
ANYONE CAN PERFORM ... Preference given to those not advancing to semifinal round. A schedule can arranged by a WIPAC volunteer if preferred or considered necessary.
- SATURDAY MORNING MASTER CLASS 10:30AM-12:00Noon, B120 (Instructor Raymond Jackson, Howard U. Dr. Jackson is a specialist in music of the African diaspora. Sign up at desk to perform ; first come first serve.
- SATURDAY AFTERNOON SEMI FINAL ROUND: 2016 Location: B120 GWU: TIME: 1:30-6 PM SATURDAY
RECEPTION AFTER THE COMPETITION INCLUDED FOR PIANISTS OF THE COMPETITION AND GUESTS.
SUNDAY MORNING MASTER CLASS 10:00PM-11:30AM, B120 (Instructor Janice Weber, Boston Conservatory & Harvard U.). Sign up at desk to perform; first come first serve.
SUNDAY AFTERNOON FINAL ROUND, 2:00-6:00PM & 6:30-10PM, SUNDAY
Location Cosmos Club Ballroom, 2nd Floor (see next item for more information)
AWARDS CEREMONY AND CELEBRATORY DINNER: Location: Cosmos Club, 2121 Massachusetts Ave, Washington, DC 20008, near Du Pont Circle. Dinner event is catered buffet. Antendees must be paid in advance, so sign up as early as possible. If you signup as competitor, OK to add $75 to your application fee of $140 for yourself. $75 for spouse; guests rate: $150 is charged all other guests attending the finals and dinner on the same day. $25 charge for attendees at competition round if dinner is excluded. Competitors are allowed family (children) at the finals, but we must charge $75 for the dinner to help cover costs of children requiring seating. The menu is varied and should accomodate all tastes. We encourage competitors to be there. If you are a competitor and receive an award and are not there, you may never receive it. Remember, discretionary awards are round independent, and it is not uncommon for pianists, who did not advance, to receive one of several discretionary awards offered by the panel of jurors. Be there! It's important to receive these publically supported awards in person.
COSMOS CLUB WEBSITE LINK
Click here for METRO MAP
THERE ARE AT LEAST 3 VAN SERVICES BETWEEN DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AND WASHINGTON, DC
AIRPORT SHUTTLE TRANSPORTATION (Some links may change; you need to check DULLES AIRPORT GROUND TRANSPORTATION):
- You can reserve online at the Blue Van or Yellow Van websites incoming, based on your flight's arrival time. Outgoing arrangements for pickup at GWU are best made at the desk or by phone as soon as possible after your arrival -- 24 hours advance reservation is required to insure pickup on time. You will need to tell them your exact flight departure time.
- BLUE VAN SUPER SHUTTLE LINK or YELLOW VAN SUPREME SHUTTLE LINK or check airports for VAN service on arrival. These are located in the baggage claim exit areas.
- At Dulles Intl (IAD), look for representatives desks for various van services all together next to each other, near the exit at lower level exit areas 1-2 or 9-10.
- At Reagan Intl (DCA), go to representative near baggage claim area. (METRO is also available at DCA and probably the easiest and least expensive option if your hotel is near a station).
- At Baltimore/Washington Airport (BWI), look for representative at Pier C at the middle of the airport, or stop at an inquiry desk for additional instructions.
- Blue Van SUPPER SHUTTLE reservation telephone number: 800-BLUEVAN (subject to change). Yellow SUPREME SHUTTLE telephone number is 800-590-0000 (subject to change).
- Incoming, you do not need a reservation, but you may have to wait longer for a VAN if you did not reserve in advance, which you can do online! Outgoing, call 24 hours plus or schedule a departure upon your arrival and arrange a pickup time and place in advance.
- FYI, METRO will eventually go as far as Dulles Airport, but currently last stop in that direction is McLean, VA.
- ACCOMODATION INFORMATION AND WEB LINKS
- Hotel Lombardy next door to The Arts Club of Washington
- Washington Hotels--general site
- HOTELS.COM -- general site
- Possible choices in DCmight include: (near Du Pont Circle: The Fairfax at Embassy Row; Embassy Row Hotel (both on Mass Ave)); Hilton Hotel, Marriott; Palomar Hotel; Holiday Inn. Hotels are best near Foggy Bottom (GWU) (Melrose, State Plaza). Du Pont Circle area is walkable but a good walk. Crystal City hotels (not far from airport) could be used, but should be close to METRO so you can commute to Foggy Bottom via Metro or Du Pont Circle Station from Virginia. Rates are frequently lower in VA, and taxes are lower, but you must plan on using the METRO or a TAXI. Crystal City is close to Key Bridge and Georgetown.
- Hotels.com offers deals and coupons that can be used for future free night stays, using their services.
- Du Pont Circle area Metro can be used to connect to Farragut North, or via METRO CENTER connections to Foggy Bottom Station which is 2 blocks from GWU Music Dept. Several websites can be used to find lowest price hotel GWU area offerings. Any special offers are posted on our website if available. We recommend you check web listings daily or weekly as offerings can change overnight or week to week.
- DORMITORY ACCOMODATIONS
No dormitory accomodations will be arranged by WIPAC.