REVISED JULY 7th, 2016 (changed place and time for marathon, now in B120)
Washington International Piano Artists Competition Locations
METRO, GWU CAMPUS & DC MAP links
Shuttle Services Between Airports and GWU Campus
Hotel Accomodation Information
Modified: June 30, 2016; this file is incomplete except that the information on prelim round at GWU is correct.
Other data will be announced as sites are arranged closer to the time of the competition and can change from what you see now below from 2015.
Note: Links underlined below, contain additional information or maps
DATES OF COMPETITION: Friday AUGUST 5, through Sunday, AUGUST 7, 2016
Welcome Reception (OPEN TO competitors, guests, donors, and volunteers WITH RSVP) is Thursday August 4th (see below for location). CHROME browser users should reload this page each time you visit it, manually, to update to your currently stored page information!
- DC MAP LINK: CLICK HERE FOR DC MAP (Note: Dupont Circle is just north of this map and if you look at Connecticut Ave and New Hampshire Ave, they converge just above the top of the map at Du Pont Circle, which you cannot see on the map. There is a METRO STATION there.
- DC BUS & GOOD MAPS: METRO BUS & MAPS
- DC METRO INTERACTIVE WEBSITE: METRO WEBSITE LINK
- For those of you visiting from abroad, it is customary to tip taxi drivers approximately 10% of the total amount. Restaurant servers expect approximately 15%. Fast food and carry outs: no tips required.
- THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY MUSIC DEPT. at PHILLIPS HALL BASEMENT. 801 22nd St NW (between H & I St.) USE B1 elevator stop.
- Elevators are at main entrance found in the middle of the block, off 22nd between H and I Sts., NW.
- Home Base for Competitors, Practice Rooms, Master Classes, Preliminary Rounds.
- Location for WIPAC WELCOME STAFF, registration, refreshments, and assignment masterclasses and practice rooms: outside B120
- Location for preliminary and final rounds this year: B120 10AM - 6 PM with break for lunch.
- Grands and uprights are available to competitors as assigned by WIPAC staff. Preference to those about to perform. The music department is an "All Steinway" university beginning summer, 2010.
- OFFICE: Phillips Hall (Basement Level: B1) 801 22nd St. NW, off 22nd Street between H & I Streets, Washington, DC 20006
- DIRECTIONS: Phillips Hall adjoins Rome Hall off 22nd St. NW between H and I. Use B1 elevator level with the sign that says MUSIC DEPARTMENT. Go down the hall to B120 on left for WIPAC DESK in entrance hallway .
- Click on the Virtual Tour to see maps and where buildings are located: GWU Visitors Information; See Building 19 Foggy Bottom Campus MAP
- (Search for "Phillips Hall" which is joined to "Rome Hall" along one block of 22nd Street from "H" to "I" Streets.)
- CLOSEST METRO: Foggy Bottom Station near GWU Medical Center; Farrugut North Station (see METRO MAP ABOVE) is not too far and connects with RED LINE, one stop north, to Du Pont Circle station which is nearest to venue for final round.
- PARKING: Streets are metered, also on weekends now. Credit Cards can be used; or cash in quarters only. Smartphone payments are used in some locations.
- GWU VISITOR PARKING LOT is OFF H between 22nd and 23rd Streets. IMPORTANT: Use that Visitors Lot! It is part of the new Science & Technology Building. About $20 per day.
- WELCOME RECEPTION, Thursday, 6:30pm to 8:30pm. Location: Kosciuszko Foundation 2025 O Street NW near Du Pont Circle Metro.
- Kosciuszko Foundation Website
A Piano is available for this occasion.
- THE GEORGE WASHINGTON U. MUSIC DEPT - PRELIMINARY ROUNDS will be on Friday at 10am. Start time is 10AM. Schedules of performances will be sent out in advance by email to competitors.
- Open at 9AM for preparation. Snacks/Juices, etc. available. Marvin Center is close-by and also available for fast foods. Whole Foods & Starbucks are nearby. Best to use WIFI at Starbucks or your hotel, and not try to use GWU Music Department for internet access. We are guests in the music department, and it is important not to interfere with their daily operations as best we can.
- PIANO FOR COMPETITION: Steinway B Grand in room B120.
- Go to WIPAC Reception Desk which will be located outside B120 in the hallway, for assistance and practice room assignments.
- See above for additional directions to this location.
- A Cocktail & Snacks Reception is held after PRELIMINARY ROUNDS on FRIDAY..
- Saturday Morning PIANO MARATHON: 9AM to 1030AM in B120 where you are practiing....
- ANYONE CAN PERFORM ... Preference given to those not advancing to semifinal round.
- A WIPAC Volunteer, Diane Merriam, will be on hand to organize performances.
- SATURDAY MORNING MASTER CLASS II, 10AM-11:30PM, B120 (Raymond Jackson). Sign up at desk to perform ; first come first serve.
- SATURDAY AFTERNOON SEMI FINAL ROUND: 2016 Location: B120 GWU: TIME: 1:30-6 PM SATURDAY
RECEPTION AFTER THE COMPETITION INCLUDED FOR PIANISTS OF THE COMPETITION AND GUESTS.
- You will have an opportunity to warmup at GWU. Preference given to those in order of appearance.
- PIANO: Steinway B
- DIRECTIONS: As above
- SUNDAY MORNING MASTER CLASS III, 10AM-9:00PM-10:30AM, B120 (Janice Weber); 10:30-noon (Eric Himy). Sign up at desk to perform; first come first serve.
- SUNDAY AFTERNOON FINAL ROUND, 2:00-6:00PM & 6:30-10PM, SUNDAY
- 2016 Location is The Almas Shriner Temple, The Sphinx Club, 1315 K St. NW, at Franklin Square, Washington, DC. METRO Farrugut East and METRO CENTRAL are closest.
- AWARDS CEREMONY AND CELEBRATORY DINNER: Dinner event is catered and antendees must be paid for in advance, so sign up as early as possible. If you signup as competitor, OK to add $75 to your application fee of $140 for yourself. $75 for each additional person is a rate for additional "competitor's" guests only rate (prepaid prior to event). $125 is charged all other guests attending the finals and dinner on the same day. $25 charge for attendees at competition round if dinner is excluded. Competitors are allowed guests and family at the finals, but we must charge $75 for the dinner to help cover costs. Most likely menu is salad, meat/vegetarian options and desert; vegetarian available on request. We encourage competitors to be there. If you are a competitor and receive an award and are not there, you may never receive it, and it is not uncommon for pianists who did not advance to receive one of several discretionary awards offered by the panel of jurors.
- METRO MAP (PDF file).
ONLY airport with METRO ACCESS is Reagan International (DCA)
- THERE ARE NOW 3 VAN SERVICES BETWEEN DULLES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AND WASHINGTON, DC
- AIRPORT SHUTTLE TRANSPORTATION:
- You can reserve online at the Blue Van or Yellow Van websites incoming, based on your flight's arrival time. Outgoing arrangements for pickup at GWU are best made at the desk or by phone as soon as possible after your arrival -- 24 hours advance reservation is required to insure pickup on time. You will need to tell them your exact flight departure time.
- BLUE VAN SUPER SHUTTLE LINK or YELLOW VAN SUPREME SHUTTLE LINK or check airports for VAN service on arrival. These are located in the baggage claim exit areas.
- At Dulles Intl (IAD), look for representatives desks for various van services all together next to each other, near the exit at lower level exit areas 1-2 or 9-10.
- At Reagan Intl (DCA), go to representative near baggage claim area. (METRO is also available at DCA and probably the easiest and least expensive option if your hotel is near a station).
- At Baltimore/Washington Airport (BWI), look for representative at Pier C at the middle of the airport, or stop at an inquiry desk for additional instructions.
- Blue Van SUPPER SHUTTLE reservation telephone number: 800-BLUEVAN (subject to change). Yellow SUPREME SHUTTLE telephone number is 800-590-0000 (subject to change).
- Incoming, you do not need a reservation, but you may have to wait longer for a VAN if you did not reserve in advance, which you can do online! Outgoing, call 24 hours plus or schedule a departure upon your arrival and arrange a pickup time and place in advance.
- FYI, METRO will eventually go as far as Dulles Airport, but currently last stop in that direction is McLean, VA.
- ACCOMODATION INFORMATION AND WEB LINKS
- Hotel Lombardy next door to The Arts Club of Washington
- Washington Hotels--general site
- HOTELS.COM -- general site
- Possible choices in DCmight include: (near Du Pont Circle: The Fairfax at Embassy Row; Embassy Row Hotel (both on Mass Ave)); Hilton Hotel, Marriott; Palomar Hotel; Holiday Inn. Hotels are best near Foggy Bottom (GWU) (Melrose, State Plaza). Du Pont Circle area is walkable but a good walk. Crystal City hotels (not far from airport) could be used, but should be close to METRO so you can commute to Foggy Bottom via Metro or Du Pont Circle Station from Virginia. Rates are frequently lower in VA, and taxes are lower, but you must plan on using the METRO or a TAXI. Crystal City is close to Key Bridge and Georgetown.
- Hotels.com offers deals and coupons that can be used for future free night stays, using their services.
- Du Pont Circle area Metro can be used to connect to Farragut North, or via METRO CENTER connections to Foggy Bottom Station which is 2 blocks from GWU Music Dept. Several websites can be used to find lowest price hotel GWU area offerings. Any special offers are posted on our website if available. We recommend you check web listings daily or weekly as offerings can change overnight or week to week.
- DORMITORY ACCOMODATIONS
No dormitory accomodations will be arranged by WIPAC.